T: +31 (0) 70 762 0700
Professor of Private Law and Academic Director Tilburg University and Hague Institute for Internationalisation of Law
- Partner at law firm De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek.
- Developing Common European Rules regulating service contracts (European Civil Code Project, now part of the draft Common Frame of Reference for European Contract Law)
- Developing A Code of Conduct for Settling Personal Injury claims (with and now accepted by a large majority of insurance companies and organizations representing victims)
- A strategic agenda for improving access to justice, developed for the UN High Level Commission on Legal Empowerment of the Poor together with international experts (Making the Law Work for Everyone 2008, Report Working Group I on Access to Justice)
- An approach for effective legal aid, improving access to justice with lower costs (developed with legal aid stakeholders in the Netherlands; accepted as a policy by Dutch Ministry of Justice and Parliament in 2008).
- Internet applications for legal advice and online divorce (developed with stakeholders and client panels; now in operation as Rechtwijzer.nl by the Dutch legal aid board)
- A tool with handbook for measuring access to justice (now used in 20 countries and the handbook downloaded 6000 times).
- The concept and methods of Microjustice, now being developed further in cooperation with NGO's and legal services providers.