Stephen HolmesWalter E. Meyer Professor of Law | NYU School of Law
Member of Hague Rule of Law Network
I directed the OSI (Soros Foundation) Rule of Law Program for Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union, 1994-96.
Personal motto: 'You cannot tell what you cannot do until you try'
Rule of Law expertise
- Foreign Technical Assistance and the Rule of Law
- Constitution Making and Unmaking
- Ambiguities of Judicial Independence
Country / region expertise
- Eastern Europe
- Author of “Lineages of the Rule of Law,” in José María Maravall and Adam Przeworski (eds.), Democracy and the Rule of Law (Cambridge University Press, 2003), pp. 19-61.
- Author of “Judicial Independence as Ambiguous Reality and Insidious Illusion,” in Ronald Dworkin (ed.), From Liberal Values to Democratic Transition: Essays in Honor of Janos Kis (CEU Press, 2003), pp. 3-14.
- Author of "Can Foreign Aid Promote the Rule of Law?," East European Constitutional Review (Fall 1999), vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 68-74.